Ceramic car coatings are the future of automotive paint protection. The coating is applied to your vehicle’s exterior and provides a super durable layer that protects against chips, corrosion, scratches, etc. This article post will answer all your questions about ceramic coatings!
What is a ceramic coating, and why do I need it?
Ceramic coatings provide a protective barrier for your paint and also enhance the shine. It essentially works as a second clear coat but without all the bad effects such as peeling, fading, or cracking. Ceramic coating will protect your car from environmental factors such as rain, snow, dirt, and pollution. They bond very tightly to the surface and will not wash away like other coatings. You can maintain them by simply hosing off the car (with a pressure washer) to remove dirt, bird droppings, sap, etc.
Ceramic coating is applied much like wax; it bonds tightly to the paint and forms an incredibly hard, resilient surface. Waxing has its place, but ceramic will offer much more protection than a wax.
How do I prep for a ceramic coating?
Cleaning a car before applying ceramic is not compulsory, but it will drastically improve the durability of coatings
Below are some steps on how to prep your car for a ceramic coating
1) Wash with soap that would remove any wax
2) Use a clay bar to remove all the contamination
3) Apply Aquapel glass treatment or any water repellent product
4) Wipe the car with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol). Use a microfiber towel to dry it. The drying process will help remove any left-over waxes/dirt/contaminations which would interfere with coating adhesion
5) Now, your car is ready for coating.
You may also like: HOW TO REMOVE CERAMIC COATINGS FROM CARS
How to apply the coatings?
Ceramic coating is applied much like wax; it bonds tightly to the paint and forms an incredibly hard, resilient surface. Waxing has its place, but ceramic will offer much more protection than a wax. Below we have explained how the ceramic coating is applied
1) Coatings are made using a mixture of advanced resins and ceramic particles. Spray the coating onto your car following a cross pattern. Then use a microfiber towel to wipe off any excess coating.
2) In some cases, you will have to apply multiple coats. Wait for 2 hours before applying another coat.
3) Let the coating cure for 24hours before washing your car.
4) Cleaning your car is easier than ever with an advanced polymer resin.
5) You can maintain the coatings by rinsing your car using a pressure washer or just simply use a wet microfiber towel to remove dirt from your car at any time.
6) You can also use nano-tech wax as LSP (last step product) for weekly maintenance.
Why should you get professional ceramic coating?
Ceramic coatings are recommended to be applied by experts. This is because the coating application process requires some skill and practice. If you apply the coating at home, there are chances of air bubbles, over sprays on windows or rubber seals, or any other defects. Ceramic coating will usually last for more than 2 years (depending on how well it is maintained) if performed by the best ceramic coating in Atlanta.
Proper application of ceramic coating will ensure that the product bonds with the paint surface tightly. It will also last for a long time and enhances shine. Most importantly, it provides protection from environmental factors such as rain, snow, pollution, etc., which can cause paint damage if not removed or washed off in time.
The benefits of ceramic coatings
Durability: Coatings offer a very high level of protection against UV rays, water spots, and environmental contaminants. You can expect more 7-8 years of durability from the ceramic coating.
Repels Water: Unlike waxes, Ceramic coatings will make water bead up or runoff from the surface, thus increasing visibility during rain.
Resistance to Chemical: Ceramic coatings are resistant to fuel, oil, and other chemicals. They will not be easily removed by these harsh elements.
Super Hydrophobic Properties: A ceramic coating becomes superhydrophobic after curing. This means it will have much stronger water-beading properties. This will help to prevent the possibility of water spots.
Scratch Resistant: Ceramic coating is very hard; hence it will protect your car from being scratched by road debris, bugs, or rocks.
Self-Cleaning Property: A ceramic coating dries into a super smooth finish that allows standing water and road grime to simply slide off the surface.
No Damage: Unlike waxes or sealants, a ceramic coating will not damage your paint if it comes in contact with tree sap, bug smear, or bird dropping.
UV Protection: A ceramic coating will protect your car from harmful UV rays, which deteriorate and fade paint color. It is also a great option for cars that are stored outdoors.
We hope we were able to answer all of your questions and provide you with some helpful tips.