When it comes to packing jewellery away, there are a few things you need to know before you begin doing so. Many people assume all you need to do is throw your treasured items into a box and seal it up with packing tape. The thing is, packing jewellery is a bit more involved than that!
It doesn’t matter whether you are packing jewellery away to keep safe at storage units in Staples Corner or some other part of the country like Birmingham or Bristol. Nor does it matter what type of jewellery you wish to store, whether it is made of gold, silver, or any other precious metals.
What does matter is that you don’t damage anything during the packing process! The last thing you want to do is open the box up and find that some of your prized possessions got damaged! So, to avoid such a nightmare scenario from happening, it’s worth taking the time to pack everything properly. With that in mind, here is what you need to know:
Have the right materials to hand
Before you do any packing, make sure you have everything you need to pack your valuable jewellery away safely and securely. The materials you will need may vary from this list, but generally speaking here is what you should have to hand:
- Boxes. You may find that you’ll need some specialist jewellery boxes, depending on the size and metals used to create your valuables;
- Bubble Wrap. It’s lightweight yet offers a protective buffer between each item in your box, and creates a cushion effect;
- Foam or Void Fill. Adding foam or loose-fill material adds a second layer of protection to the bubble wrap;
- Packing Tape. Be sure to choose a premium tape that won’t come undone or tear easily;
- Scissors. A good quality pair of scissors will make your life easier for cutting strips of packing tape or bubble wrap;
- Permanent Marker Pen. Useful for noting what’s in each box or writing a reference down that means something only to yourself.
How to pack each item of jewellery
When it comes to packing away earrings, consider using thick pieces of card for them. All you have to do is pierce holes through them and then store your earrings on the card. Be sure to wrap each ‘stored’ set of earrings around a soft cloth, and put them in resealable plastic bags.
For necklaces, it makes sense to store them in dedicated necklace storage boxes lined with velvet or some other soft material. Doing so keeps them presentable and stored in a way where tangles are unlikely to occur.
Are you planning to store some rings? If so, you could buy a lined display case that jewellery shops use. Again, they will be kept in a presentable and safe manner. Plus, they aren’t likely to cause damage to each other because they are some distance away from each other.
Once each item of jewellery is individually packed, you can pack them in a cardboard box using layers of bubble wrap and foam or void fill.