Many homeowners don’t realize shampooing carpets is not the best way to clean them. There are many other options available for rug cleaning. While some carpet cleaning methods can be affordable and effective, others are better for deep stains and ground-in dirt.
Steam cleaning carpet is the best way to clean carpets. It removes more than 90 per cent of dirt and bacteria. Carpets can also be dried and cleaned to make them ready for foot traffic.
You can keep your carpets, area rugs and other flooring materials looking great by comparing the carpet cleaning methods. Also, here are some helpful tips to help you maintain clean floors. Talk to a local carpet cleaning company about your options when you are ready to have your floors and carpets cleaned by professionals.
Different Carpet Cleaning Services
Have a look at the top carpet cleaning services that you may consider for your home to better understand their pros and cons.
- Hot water extraction, or steam cleaning, uses hot water to clean carpet fibers using a high-pressure wand. Both hot water and pressure work together to dissolve heavy dirt, mud, and other debris from carpeting. This allows it to be easily extracted. The steam from the machine also “fluffs” up matted carpet fibers, making your carpeting look fresher and feel softer underneath your feet.
- Carpet shampooing is completed with commercial detergents and lots of water. It’s just like shampooing your hair. Rotating brushes can be used to scrub shampoo into carpeting and loosen dirt and other debris. To remove shampoo from carpets, use clean water.
- Dry cleaning carpets use a powder detergent or similar chemicals. It is applied with very little water. The powder is pushed into the fibers by a rotating brush. A special extraction tool removes any dirt or debris.
- Carpets with a lot of dirt are often cleaned using foam cleaning or encapsulation. Carpeting is treated with speciality foam. This foam expands and bubbles, trapping dirt and debris and bringing it to its surface. The foam and trapped dirt are then removed by steam extraction.
- Bonnet cleaning is done using a special carpet cleaning machine that has a thick towel or bonnet on the front. The bonnet rubs the carpet shampoo on the surface, and then the shampoo and any trapped dirt are extracted.
What is the best carpet cleaning method?
There is no one “best” carpet cleaning method that will work for all rugs. All rug cleaning methods have their pros and cons. You can make an informed decision about the best carpet cleaning method for your home by looking at the pros and cons of these popular options.
- For those who have allergies to shampoos or detergents, a hot water extraction is a great option. Another benefit is that steam kills germs, molds, mildew and other irritants. It is difficult to get rid of all traces of water from carpet steam cleaning. The carpeting might not be ready to go for several hours.
- Carpet shampooing is a great way to remove stubborn stains, but it requires careful extraction. The residues of shampooing can trap dirt and dust on the carpeting, making it look dirtier.
- Carpet dry cleaning is preferable for busy families and offices that don’t have the time to wait for the carpet to dry. Dry cleaning carpets can be quite unpleasant due to the chemicals and detergents used. Proper ventilation is essential. This carpet cleaning method may not be suitable for people with allergies or respiratory difficulties.
- Bonnet cleaning does not remove any dirt from the carpeting. This is a problem for floors that require a deep clean. Bonnet cleaning is quick and inexpensive. Bonnet carpet cleaning is a great option if your carpets don’t look particularly dirty or matted. It can also be used if you require light carpet cleaning on an affordable basis to keep your rugs looking their best.
How to Avoid DIY Carpet Cleaning Errors
Call a carpet cleaner near you to ensure that your carpets are clean and safe. Carpet cleaners have the expertise and tools to remove tough stains and dirt from your carpets without damaging the fibers. If you do decide to clean your carpets yourself, here are some common mistakes that can be made.
- When scrubbing or brushing carpets, don’t use too much pressure. Rotating a brush in carpet fibers can cause them to become brittle or spongy.
- Remove all remnants of shampoo, detergent, foam and other carpet cleaning chemicals. It is important to properly remove carpet cleaning chemicals.
- You should use fresh water for each steam application or extraction wand. Don’t rush carpet cleaning. You should allow the steam to penetrate the carpet fibers. Make sure you keep removing dirt and detergents from the tank until it is dry.
- Avoid walking on damp carpets. This can cause carpet fibers to be crushed and cause rugs to look worn and flattened.
- To ensure carpet and padding are dry, you must have plenty of ventilation. Additional ventilation can reduce the likelihood of mold and mildew growth from trapped moisture under your rugs. To remove moisture, open windows and bring in fans.
How to Clean Tile Floors
You might have professional clean floor tiles and other surfaces when you schedule a carpet cleaning service for your home. Professional cleaning is more thorough than a regular mop and will remove any dirt, mud, or other residues. These tips will help you clean tiles and other flooring surfaces during professional visits.
- Avoid using harsh abrasives to clean ceramic tiles. This can cause etching and other damages. To avoid trapping dirt and other debris on the floor’s surface, use an all-purpose cleaner.
- Slate and flagstone tiles can be cleaned best with a special polishing or floor polishing machine. Stone floors may need to be periodically stripped and resealed in order to protect them from dirt and mud.
- Avoid using hot water or solvents to clean linoleum flooring. These solutions can cause damage to the sealants. Make sure to use a cleaner that is specifically designed for linoleum tiles.
- Marble tile is porous and needs to be buffed in order to keep its shine. To polish marble floors, use fabric softener mixed in water. Make sure to seal those stone slabs as necessary.
Here are some simple tips to keep your carpets clean
Professional carpet shampooing is the best way to keep rugs clean and beautiful in your home. However, here are some simple ways you can maintain your floors in the interim.
- To reduce dirt and debris that your pet might drag on carpets, trim their nails and claws. Carpets with loose threads can trap more dirt and debris. Trimming your nails will make them look neater!
- An air filter or purifier can be installed throughout your home or in the rooms that you use the most. A purifier traps and locks airborne dirt and dust so it cannot settle on carpeting. This will keep your floors cleaner overall.
- You should inspect the door and window screens in your home. To keep dust and other particles out of your home, make sure the mesh is not too wide.
- Power wash exterior surfaces of your home regularly. Dust, dirt, and other debris from outside can build up and settle on carpets.
- The furnace filter should be changed at least once a year. If possible, have your home’s ductwork professionally cleaned. Dirt and dust can settle in ducts of homes and get blown onto carpeting. A clogged furnace filter will not trap as much airborne debris and dirt, allowing it to settle on the floors.
- Do not assume regular vacuuming damages carpets. Daily vacuuming removes dirt, dust and other contaminants that can otherwise cause damage to fibers and extensive wear on rugs. You can keep your carpets looking great between professional cleanings by investing in a powerful vacuum cleaner that you can use every day.
Can carpet cleaning ruin them?
Carpet fibers can be damaged by improper use of scrub brushes or too harsh shampoo and detergent. However, ground-in dirt and other debris can also cause carpet fibers to become flattened and eventually need replacing.
How can you deep clean carpets by hand?
A white rag soaked in white vinegar is the best way to clean carpets by hand. Vinegar can dissolve many kinds of food stains and pet stains. All traces of stain should be removed by a thorough rinse using another wet cloth.